Sunday, May 25, 2008

My Favorite One of All

Anelle Ameral is a retired police officer, former director of the Hawai'i State Affirmative Action Department, and former member of the legislature as well as the O'ahu County Chairwoman for the Democratic Party. She's also worked tirelessly for issues around drug addiction, poverty, child hunger, and homelessness.

She's pretty much my idol.

She ran for the Chairwoman of the State Democratic Party.

She lost.

So strange but I was totally upset by the loss. She was clearly the most articulate, most experienced, and most qualified of the two running.

Obviously I was upset because I saw firsthand how we're going back to where the most qualified does not get the position due to being a woman. She didn't get the vote when by all possible measures, she should have. I totally thought our country was moving beyond that. After this vote, clearly, we have some work to do.

She was graceful and dignified in her loss and rallied around the man that did win, so much so that she requested to the chair a unanimous vote. (She "gave" her opponent the votes she got so his win would be unanimous-a gesture of goodwill and unity). BLAH!

(she should've won)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I agree, she should have won! It truly amaze me, how things can be so backwards.
So, did you have fun?