Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Today's Email from my Mom . . .

My mom has never been very political so I was a little surprised to find two emails from her this morning regarding this election. It's interesting to see how she likes Ralph Nader, may come around to voting for Obama,. . . and that she also loved Ronald Regan! Voters are complex, they decide based on a myriad of reasons and experiences. I told her that I do hope she votes Obama but if not, I suppose we can still be family. :)

Hi Liz:
I have been very undecisive and unhappy that the people that I would have voted for are not on the ticket. Now, I would like to have voted for Ralph Nader, but I know my vote would not affect the presidency. So it's McCain and Obama.
Obama, I feel does not have enough experience, don't know anything about Biden. McCain is too old in the tooth and spent too much time in bashing Obama's credentials, Sarah Palin makes me shiver to think she could be next President if McCain demises during his Presidency.
I usually read your Blog every 3 months or so and decided to look it up today. I know you have always been an Obama fan. As I read through your Blog and at the last part of it regarding what Obama & Bidens future plans for America are, I could not help but reminesce on Ronald Regan.
In my opinion and during all my voting years, Regan was the one who kept to most of his promises, getting people off the welfare system, etc. Also working at Clark County Legal Services gave me direct access to Ronald Reagan's doings and I was so impressed with what he did during his presidency.
So I have to say, because of you itemizing Obama & Biden's plans during their presidency, my inclination is to vote for Obama. We'll see.
I had previously thought I would just abstain, but that would be irresponsible. So your mother will be at the voting polls today.
Love to you both and l am really looking forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving.
Mother

Excerpt from email #2:

Also, you need to know I stand my ground regarding my last email to you. However, my decision, if Obama I vote for, is purely based on Michelle Obama. Have followed her interviews, her speaking at conventions, Larry King Live show. I think she's very intellectual, very grounded in her comments, very positive, and very much a mother and family person.

3 comments:

Leslie said...

That's so great that you were great influence on your mom.

Patria said...

i love your mom's email.

Kara said...

I totally agree with your Mom -- and I love Michelle Obama even though I would never vote for him. Now that he's won, I'm sure he will step up to the plate and get the job done. I am proud to have Michelle be the 1st Lady and Mother of the White House.