Finally. I figured out my scanner. I think.
Today marks the day that I copy some degree of concept and content from two other bloggers. Ashley and Jen (of the now defunct Analogue in Digital blog).
We're moving in a couple of weeks and in an effort to minimize moving day anxiety, I thought I'd get a jump start on the organizing, when I came across a ton of photos.
So here's the first of probably many Timewarp Tuesdays. This week is my mission, next week Ti's.
I served in the Virginia Roanoke Mission for 9 months before it was split and then I served in the Virginia Richmond for the remaining 9. I remember getting the big envelope and thinking, "I'll go where the Lord wants me to go." Mind you, I had told anyone and everyone who had asked, that I "felt" the Lord was going to call me to South America. I think. Or maybe I said Taiwan. I can't remember. Point is, I was called to Virginia and I was mortified. This was one of many lessons of faith, pride, and humility that I learned about life from the Lord. It was an amazing experience and I can honestly say that I would never EVER trade the experience for anything.
This is a jenky photo but it still has meaning for me. It was taken the day I was to report to the MTC. I was with Jared Uyehara. Who lives in St. George with his beautiful wife and 3 kids. My sister was getting married a month after I was to report, so financial and familial support were a little off, and going to the MTC with me just wasn't an option in the mind of my family. This is where my great brother, Jared came in. I stayed with his family before I went in and still remember how wonderful they were. Jared and also Mike Jackson were my brothers for quite some time. Don't you think Jared and I even look related in this?
I was with Lisa Lattimer in this one. She was cool and significant because she made me learn how to drive!! Yes, I was 22 yrs. old before I got my license. It was a thing with my companions. I memorized all my scripture mastery cards in half the time that they did because they drove while I learned. Totally benefiting me and Sister Lattimer wasn't having it. Which makes me laugh now because I don't know that I'd be driving if she didn't sweetly demand it!

These are two of my closest companions. We LOVED each other. Always laughed, so real with each other, and did some hardcore work in the field. Wait, did I mention that I was crazy obedient on my mission? It's true. I was a zealot for the work. Felt like the world depended on it.
This is me with Rebecca Richardson

And me with Jill Mikkelson
And this is the Price family. I wouldn't call them golden contacts in the traditional sense of the word. But for us, they were a Golden Family. We loved the Prices. Jill, Rebecca, and I all served in their ward with different companions. So many awesome families, and they were one of them. Joel (the dad) was the last one to be baptized and just in time to baptize his daughter, Jessica. He became truly converted to the Book of Mormon, reading it during lunch breaks in his office or in restaurants. I loved this family so much and also got to see so clearly how the gospel enhances the lives of great people.
And that concludes this edition of Timewarp.
Keep the Faith!
6 comments:
Oh my goodness....WOW! First off...your hair is amazing!!! It great to see you on your mission and how it changed your life.
Love the photos! I've got to get to scanning too. Good luck with your move, where are you going?
That was fun to read about! I didn't know you served a mission. It was also fun to see those pics - and to see you at the gym the other morning (since I haven't seen you in a while). Good luck with your move. :)
a new reason to look forward to tuesdays! i didn't know you served in virginia, that is cool. i would have felt the same way you did when you got your call, but cool none the less!
oh, and i am so pumped that you are moving to our old stomping grounds, that place will be great! did i already comment about this? can't remember! anyways, cool for you. watch out for those moffats living next door though! ;)
Your hair IS awesome.
Currently and pastly.
Jake looked over and said, "That's Jared and Liz!" before I got to finish reading.
I always like hearing tidbits from the past. I can be a more informed local this way. :)
Well it was nice surprise to read this post... Since I remember with fondness that trip to Vegas, singing at your farewell and that drive back to Utah. You will always be a dear friend to me and I am greatful for that...
Aloha Jared
Post a Comment