Saturday, March 14, 2009

Have You Seen This Movie Yet?

I have an aversion to certain images. Any type of violence completely freaks me out. I have to leave the room even while I watch the news.

So I have wanted to watch this movie since I heard about it a couple of years ago. It was nominated for several awards and I knew it was a great movie. I put off watching it because I was worried that it would have some brutal images that news often contains and I am NEVER in a place emotionally where I am able to see those.

Anyway, Ti and I finally watched it tonight and we are so glad we did. No violence or allusions to violence at all. It is Rated PG so I should have known. (You can click on the photo to read the quote).
I really loved the message of this movie. I think because I love my country so much, I don't know. I know that when I tell my friends and relatives that I am unabashedly American and that after having been to several different countries, I would not want to live anywhere else but America, it can sound offensive or ethnocentric or even "uncool". Everybody is suppose to want to travel and explore. I think to me the "Western tourist gaze"is embarrassing and I can say that because I have been a willing participant in 13 countries (I think. Unless I missed a couple just now trying to write out a list).

My passion is thinking and doing locally and nationally. There are problems this country has. Lots of them, actually. Even here in Hawaii, clean water, land, and GMOs are things our legislature are grappling with and it looks like there's no end in sight sometimes. But I really believe in our country's ability to work through these things. I believe in our political system. Is it steadily being controlled by lobbyists, corporations, and especially pharmaceutical companies? YES. But it's the best system in the world. The best because we are ultimately responsible as individuals to research and decide for ourselves what we would like for our country. I wish more Americans would do just that actually.

And I believe our media has an important function and responsibility to facilitate our acquiring of knowledge through the freedom of press.
And because America is such a gift, I feel like we need to really LOOK at the issues (and look out for each other while we're at it), while looking at ourselves and looking away from the caustic, dishonest, hate filled rhetoric that is so accessible. How do such idiots make it into the discussions of respectable political pundits? I don't know. But I do know that I'd never stand with a group who wanted to take even their right to free speech away.
These photos are from Newseum. Aside from attending the inauguration, spending the whole day in this place was the absolute highlight of my trip to D.C. Every minute of it was packed with history, education, controversy, and compassion.
This is just a piece of the Berlin wall. Were it not for the media, this may still be up and not on display. East Germans would stay awake late at night and listen to the Western media on their radios or call a number that would give them updates. This was one of many powerful exhibits about the power of our beloved press.

The first photo of this post is just part of their 9-11 section. What a horrifying occurrence in our country's history. I'm getting teary-eyed just remembering that exhibit. So much loss and yet so much love on the part of many nations who stood with us. We knew this because the media let us know.

For all the complaining we do in our country about the media, I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm so grateful we have it. I'm grateful we have a constitution that protects them and I'm grateful for reporters who so willingly take risks in the name of honest reporting.

I loved the movie and hope you get a chance to watch it.

1 comment:

Mariko said...

I love that movie. I tried to show it to my students once and they couldn't handle. The second they saw that it was black and white they were whining like a vintage red '72.
I can't believe they wouldn't care about something like this. Have you seen The Fog of War? Powerful stuff.
I have to comment on your tweet to JM. I thought exactly the same thing when I did mine to AK. Ha ha.